Underwhelmed…that pretty much describes our trip to see the research oncologist at CTRC (Cancer Therapy and Research Center) in San Antonio. We met with Dr. Lu last year after Paul had his Whipple procedure. We actually started his first go round of chemo with CTRC but moved it to the Corpus Christi Cancer Center when it was determined both facilities would do the identical treatment. It just wasn’t worth the drive 2.5 hours each way when we could do the same thing at home.
So we caught Dr.Lu up on all the treatments and surgeries Paul has had to date and answered all his questions. We also provided him the slides and reports from his baseline PET scan and the one he had on May 25th. Dr. Lu took all that info to the study coordinator. After about a 10-15 minute wait he returned with 2 packets in his hand. Apparently there were only 2 Phase 1 studies he would be eligible for and we should take them home and read them and decide if we wanted to participate. He recommended one over the other but he really didn’t “sell” either of them to us. It was sort of like “meh…we can try one of these….I guess…” so we weren’t exactly left with the warm and fuzzies. He encouraged us to investigate other hospitals and even recommended another research facility right down the street. He also said it would be a good idea to contact MD Anderson and other large cancer hospitals and they may have other clinical trials we would like to try.
The first clinical trial, the one he recommended, was the testing of a drug that is currently being used to treat patients with prostate cancer. After reading the details of the study it appears they are simply looking for people with incurable cancer to submit to testing to see how much medication they can tolerate. There was nothing about the possibility of this drug improving his chances of survival. So yea, no thanks.
The second trial was a little more interesting in that there was a possibility it could shrink tumors and increase life span. That drug required 21 days of administration and 7 days off. Total test time was 6 mos. Paul and I are totally prepared for the possibility of his having to relocate during a clinical trial but this one just didn’t blow our skirt up so we are going to continue looking.
Maybe it’s unrealistic to expect someone to be happy to see us as a potential clinical trial subject. We were hoping someone would say “Oh yea! This one is perfect for you!” or “This one is going to be your best shot”…..something other than “lets throw this against the wall and see if it sticks”….that just didn’t inspire confidence. So again, the search continues.
After our appointment we got to meet with financial advisers. That wasn’t fun. Very nice ladies but it became very clear our lack of insurance was going to be a problem. In their experience the VA won’t cover this and sadly, my insurance won’t either since Paul falls under “pre-existing condition”. Some of it, like the actual experimental drugs are usually covered by the drug company but other things, like pre-trial testing (blood work, PET or CT scans, office visits, etc) will NOT be covered…..and they are incredibly expensive. I assured them I know how to make noise with the VA and they also gave us a few resources on how to obtain insurance for the uninsurable. As of right now we are considered a “self pay”. I am considering asking if they will accept one of my kidneys in exchange…..probably not…..
So that’s pretty much the scoop. We are exhausted and are looking forward to a good nights sleep so we can start again tomorrow. We continue to pray God will lead us to where we need to go to find Paul a cure.